Monday 8 September 2014

My Life/ Changing College courses!


This is a different kind of blog compared to my usual beauty posts, which you probably gathered anyway due to the blog title. But I thought it would be quite nice to give you a little insight to an area of my life. This being college.

       To start of I currently have just started my second year at college after having an amazingly long two month summer holidays off. So as you could most probably imagine it is rather depressing having to get back in to routine and start focusing again. Although I am trying not to dwell on this too much so I can focus on being motivated and positive. The college I am at is one of the top in the country for pass rates and grades. It offers a wide range of courses, A levels, uni degrees and evening classes. My college is in another county to where I live, so travel is quite an agg, as I have to walk half an hour to the train station (where trains come only every hour, so you can imagine my stress if I miss one) and a half hour train journey and then another 20 minute walk on the other end to my house. Even though it does tire me out, when all I want to do when I've finished college is to go home to eat and sleep, but I do honestly find it worth it as I enjoy my time at college.

       On the topic of courses. I did do a Beauty therapy course last year, which I enjoyed at the time but later I personally found it very non-challenging and I wanted to change my future career path also. Despite not enjoying the course I made a great good group of friends. As we were a small class of around 12-15 we all got on and kind of became a family, which made the lessons more bearable as the learning wasn't for me. The reason I chose to do a beauty course in the first place was because of my passion for make-up and beauty, therefore I aspired to become a make-up artist. The main reasons I have for not loving the course was that it was very client based. So in every class (our typical duration of our lessons would normally be from 2-3 hours) we would perform treatments on outside customers. I did gain a lot of confidence from this and social skills, considering you would be in a very intimate situation with strangers. But for me repeating the same treatments hour after hour, day after day would become very boring, even though I loved meeting all the new customers. Another reason for my dislike of the course was I didn't particularly like any of my lectures and because of my relationship with the lectures I felt I was lacking motivation and not  receiving any support from them to help me achieve better in my assessments. Overall I did achieve a Merit pass qualification, which I was happy with. But as from what I've explained you can probably guess that I wasn't going to continue to do the second year of the course.

      For this year, me and my two close friends from my beauty course decided to apply and enroll for a 1 year business course at the same college. We all felt that it would be the best decision for us if we had changed our mind about our future. For me I chose business as it is a very broad subject which could open up a lot of doors for me and give me a variety of options for my future. I have just started my first day of the course today, however today was more about filling in paperwork and meeting who would be in your class.I found it very exciting to be trying something different and I am determined to do well and achieve the grades I want. I would love to have the option to go to university if I wanted to, which is another reason I want to do well. I would study Advertising and Marketing and this was included within the business course plan, so I am looking forward for learning that unit.

       If I have any advice for anyone changing on courses or starting out at college, I would suggest to think long and hard about what exactly you want to do and don't just make a quick, rational decision. It took me a while to realize that perhaps Beauty therapy wasn't for me. However I am glad I did it, in a way because maybe if I wouldn't of I would always be wondering 'what if i had'. And it also has given me an extra qualification, so that if I did ever want to get involved in the beauty industry again I would be able to.

Thanks for reading, and for all of you, if you're starting college, uni or school, Good luck xox 

Me and my two college friends I mention in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment